Saturday, 14 July 2007

We bought a house!

So let's back up a bit and make sure the timeline is correct. Last Wednesday (the 4th) we put an offer in on a house we loved.... it's two minutes from where we live a little further up Albion (for those who know the area). A three bedroom condo in Blossom Park with a little fenced garden (yard) Corbit sized, new appliances (apart from the very cool, very retro fridge) and it wouldn't extended our trips to work more than 5minutes max. So the offer was a no go as the guy had gone fishing (he's selling it as his mum owned it, she died). We went to look at it again on the Friday and there was another couple coming out from looking at it and boy, that was it. We put in another offer which would be valid until Sunday night when we knew for sure he would be back from fishing, at a higher price as someone else wanted our house too......

So on Saturday we took a drive to the Toronto area to pick up my brother Jack.... and drove home straight after. I had the driving home shift and in my impatience to get home was waved to the side of the road by a cop.... my first speeding ticket. Bummer. I stayed calm, wasn't embarrassed like I thought I would be, just resigned to the fact that my days of saying "I've never had a speeding ticket" were over. I was doing 136 kph in a 100. Honestly, I just wanted to get home. So I called the cop sir and gave him the information. He went to his car, we waited in ours and he told me my punishment.... It was a $276 fine and 3 points on my licence. My heart sank. Then he gave me the news that made me want to kiss him! He lowered the speed and said I was doing 115kph and so I would only have to pay $52 and NO points! Oh my goodness I was so lucky, and I'm never speeding again in my whole entire life!

So on Sunday we found out our offer had been excepted, YIPPEE! The only conditions were the house inspection, the lawyer and the mortgage. So I had Monday off work to spend the day with Jack so I started to get the ball rolling. I then felt extremely bad for making Jack wait for me while I spent a hour and a half sorting things out. Our problem... we only had until Friday to get it all sorted out. So I set up the house inspection for later that day.... got the money to the lawyer for the status certificate and let the mortgage company know we needed to take them up on their offer to give us lots of money! After that I took Jack to the mall and he spent lots of money!

So later on the Monday we did the house inspection. Anyone need a guy I would highly recommend Miles our guy. He was fantastic! The house was all good too.

So then things went quiet for a bit....

Weds afternoon I took Jack downtown to do a tour of parliament. Just my luck, like on Monday it started to pour with rain so we ran and hopped on one of those tour buses. It was great! It was an hour and a half driving around Ottawa and Gatineau with a guy telling us some really interesting facts about things like home the Bank of Canada building is it's same height under ground as above ground and holds the second largest reserve of gold in the world. Anyone want to take advantage of that let me know ;)

So on Thursday we got our mortgage approved and signed the papers. We went to the lawyer and picked up the status certificate which was all good. We then had the estate agent come and we signed some more things and now we own a house!!!! I still can't believe it!
Oh yeah and Jack went to camp.
So on Friday we went for a walk up to our new house and took pictures by the sold sign. We then went to look around Leons and Home Depot... our new favourite store! We also gave in our notice at our apartment. Kinda sad but great to think we have a house! Our closing date is August 31st and we have two weeks still in our apartment so we can slowly move stuff over and paint.

Today I have most of the day to myself which is why I'm able to write all this! Jack comes back from camp later and Ryan is at the Hope Volleyball tournament for the day.
I have to recommend the moving 'Breach' too. We watched it with Dan and Kate last night and it wasn't heart stopping action but I really really enjoyed it.

OH MY GOODNESS! WE'RE NOW HOME OWNERS!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! Congratulations!! YOur first house how very exciting.

I was speaking with Helen on Wednesday and asked if you got it!

That's wonderful!

You will have tons of fun decorating and making it your very own!

take care, bye for now,
Michele

jenjakob said...

Congratulations Team Kirk! Well done. Homes are an adventure - and now Corbit will have room to roam. He'll be so happy.

Jessica said...

Congrats, you guys! And best of all you're still in our ward. Woo hoo!! Just don't be like me and wait 2 years to put any pictures on the walls. I kept waiting because I figure I would paint first...never happened.

Oh and I got my first parking ticket a couple of weeks ago. Parking tickets aren't as bad as speeding tickets, but I'm glad it all worked out in the end. It was probably your accent that sweetened the deal!

Lexi said...

Katie - Congrats!!! I'm so jealous that you are a homeowner now. My favorite part of the post was the "moving" that you recommended. Your mind must be focused on your house, as it should be!

By the way, we had a 14 hour drive from the coast of Oregon back to Utah (family reunion). Jeff took a wrong turn and once we realized it, he started speeding back to make up time. Well, lo and behold, a cop happened to be out in the middle of nowhere in the desert, and Jeff got a ticket for going 81 mph in a 55 zone. I am now $242 dollars poorer.

I like the picture of Corbit pointing at the Sold sign.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the house Katie! I only think I've met you a few times - say hi to Ryan for me from his cousin out west. Perhaps we'll be able to stop by to see your new house when we're in town at Christmas time.

Eric Jakob said...

Believe it or not you do have a readership you cheekymonkeys. You should probably update your blog or risk having your entire, and I mean ENTIRE crowd of groupies lose interest in your cyberlife.