Tuesday, 28 September 2010

The Power of Music

I am someone who is very emotionally influenced by music. It can make me feel happy, sad, energetic, calm. It can get me thinking about life and love and can help me feel close to God. So there is one song in particular right now that churns up so many emotions in me I just have to talk about it - 'Love the way you lie' by Eminem and Rhianna. It's on the radio ALL the time. I love the melody and the mix of the voices but then I listen to the lyrics and my heart just drops. If you haven't heard the song it's basically about a guy beating up his wife/girlfriend. It makes me feel so sad (and I can't think of a better word that that) to think that people actually have to go through that, but then the message the song gives (and this is my interpretation) is that really underneath all the pain the woman really doesn't mind, she enjoys the drama and that worries me. I can't be the only one who thinks this when I hear it but what kind of message does it send? Does it justify the abuser? Does it rob the abused of any hope of getting out of the situation or even worse that they might deserve it?

The more I listen to the radio and then the more I listen to the lyrics to a lot of the songs out there the more I get concerned about the message this is sending out. This is what my daughters will be singing along too and I would hope it would send the right messages rather than tearing away at the good I'm trying to teach them.

No comments: