Theo and I are being treated for thrush. Yes, it's painful.... very painful, for me anyway, he doesn't seem bothered at all which is a good thing! Our doctor is about a 35-40minute drive away and has been on holiday for when Theo was first born. Once I realized we might have a problem though I got in touch with an after hours doctor who gave Theo a prescription for five days and me some cream. Didn't cut it. Theo got better but not 100% which meant I didn't get any better and the pain got worse. Luckily last week our doctor was back and I was able to be squeezed in. We were given a longer prescription for Theo (which is already doing the trick) and I was given a new cream that this well known and well renowned lactation consultant in Toronto (Dr Jack Newman) had created and oh my it is amazing. Dr Newman is now on my list of heroes!
Anyway, yesterday, one day into Theo's new prescription I was giving him his medicine when Paige came over to watch and knocked the medicine over. Because I was holding Theo and a medicine dropper with no hands free there wasn't much I could do other than shout "the medicine, the medicine! " I couldn't even see it, it had spilt and rolled under the couch. The first thing I did was call the pharmacy to speak to my old boss to see what I needed to do. After one day things were already getting better and I didn't want to go back to the pain being worse. Luckily she said she would just refill it for me. She was my favourite person that day. Paige said after it happened "mummy I spilt the medicine" and my reply was "yes but it was an accident, but Paige I can't speak about it now ok." My way of calming down! I didn't blame her, it really was an accident but due to lack of sleep when something doesn't go to plan or something happens to mess up the plan I need a few moments to regroup.
Today has been my first real functioning day from 7am onwards with no naps (hasn't happened before now because my angel mum has been here but I have to start preparing now for when she leaves) and a bad nights sleep. I did really well (if I do say so myself!). This afternoon I went to give Theo his medicine and after learning from yesterdays mistake I locked myself in the bedroom so no little feet could cause any accidents. Theo was successfully given his medicine but due to my lack of sleep and decreased dexterity something happened and the bottle slipped out of my hands. Theo's medicine ended up all over my carpet and book. I couldn't do anything but burst into tears. Mum suggested calling the pharmacy again but I just couldn't. I locked myself alone in my room so I could have a few moments for a good cry before Theo needed feeding. The feelings this second time around were so intense, the devastation, frustration, helplessness and memory of pain was too much. I know, it sounds ridiculous now but for a sleep deprived woman who gave birth to her third baby three weeks previously my reaction was completely justified! Once again my angel mum stepped in to do what I couldn't. She called the pharmacy explained the situation and I was able to go and get a refill but was left with a warning from the pharmacist that if it happened again not to call her! I thought that was a justifiable action because for myself I don't even want to think about what I would do to myself if I made the same mistake for a third time!
Now, tonight I can relax knowing Theo and I have our medicine and can continue in our recovery. Thank goodness for modern medicine! We also have an appointment next week with a new doctor that is only about 15-20 minutes away. A great improvement when you have to take three children aged three and under everywhere with you!
2 comments:
Aw these things happen Katie so dont worry too much about it - you certainly have your hands full at the moment! Hope you are all well -will have to get together soon! Catherine xxxx
Katie, I would have cried too! I don't think I could have called the pharmacy again....I had thrush with one of my babies and it was HORRIBLE!!! I feel your pain. You'll soon be into a new normal and somehow we just learn to function on no sleep....I don't know how, but we do. You're in my prayers!!
Post a Comment