Saturday, 30 June 2007

If you go down to the beach today.....

WOW! It is the end of June already, I can't believe it. There's now less than half a year until Christmas but it feels like we only just had last Christmas! It's incredible how fast time is flying by. So one week exactly until my baby brother Jack comes to visit! I'm sooooooo excited, it's gonna be so fun, after today I have another place to take him too....

This morning I awoke to Ryan getting ready to go out for the day and the anticipation to a full day to myself. As much as I love Ryan and having him around it's not often I get a free day to myself to do what I want in my own time without worrying if he's enjoying himself or feeling bad if I'm too tired to go out and do what he wants. So my Saturday started with waking up at 7.30am. Yes early, but I don't mind it too much it means I have more daytime! At around 8.30am I got a phone call from my dearest Kate inviting me to go to the beach for a picnic with her and hubby and Lindsey and Otto. Of course I said yes after puzzling in my mind where the beach that's 45mins away could be as we're about three days drive minimum from the closest ocean. So at around 10am I go up and touch bases with them. I really love their home, it's so cozy and inviting. Everything I hope mine is or will be someday real soon! They pay attention to the little details and it makes all the difference. So we then start on our way to meet Lindsey and Otto. In the process I realise I forgot my camera and continue to be frustrated about my forget fullness still at this hour. When reaching the Guerrero's Kate realises she's forgotten her grapes (...or Dan, not sure still) so we make a detour to get grapes and snacks. The the three of us in our car and Lindsey and Otto following in theirs we meander our way through downtown Ottawa to cross the bridge to Quebec. We were doing really well until a set of traffic lights separated us. We were craning our necks trying to find the car for the next 20mins hoping they would know to keep going and we would stop and wait for them before our exit..... not so. This is where our story takes a sad turn, we were separated and from that point lost. We waited on the side of the highway for 15mins waving at every white car that drove by. However after a lot of deliberation we decided they couldn't have been that far behind us and decided to carry on to our destination..... the beach. We drove through the Gatineau Hills which are absolutely beautiful to a huge lake and a little beach! It was cute. Not a real beach but a good attempt ;) We ate our picnic paddled in the water which was surprisingly warm. However after about 15-20mins the clouds stayed cloudy and the rain came down! So we went for a drive through the stunning park, dodging cyclists and with Dan giving the sound effects and best routes for motorbikes and then came home. It was a wonderful mid-day journey. I then came home, relaxed and tidied the apartment.... it's spotless and feels great. Now I'm going to do some more relaxing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Katie;

Sounds like quite the adventure! Was it Pink Lake? Yeah for you!

A bit of trivia... Halifax is about a 16hr. drive to the ocean. So not as far as most people might think.

Have a happy Sabbath! Hi Ryan

bye for now, Michele

Anonymous said...

PS HAPPY CANADA DAY!!

D said...

New York is only 8 hours away. Maybe the lost car went down there?

Lexi said...

Happy Canada Day, from a Happy American Friend! I like hearing about your little travels, sounds like you live in a pretty fun place.