Friday, 22 February 2008

Revelations

So now my ego has had a nice boost back to real life....
Our hoover (vacuum) broke about two weeks ago and I'd been meaning to go and get it fixed but the shop I needed to go to - the Vak Shack - is only open 9am-6pm which meant I would have to rush there from work. Well yesterday I couldn't take it anymore, the carpets downstairs were so dirty, thanks to Corbit who for some reason started to dig the dirt out of a plant pot (I'm sure he found it amusing, me not so much) that I decided to bite the bullet and face the music. What an effortless experience it was! I just needed a belt (that's what had broken) so I took the hoover in and the guy looked at it and started joking with me about what a tiny little thing it was and how broken belts were a common problem with cheaper models but easily fixed. Thanks to the quick wit I've been born with the only reply I could come up with was "it's all we could afford at the time!"So the guy handed me the belt I needed and told me it was free!!! Yes! I so got the sympathy vote! I asked if he was sure and he told me next time I needed a good new vacuum to just come to him. I'm telling you, it was a done deal! So for all living in Ottawa, GO TO THE VAK SHACK! They're seriously great :)
Now my story does not end there... after a joyous drive home (there was no traffic at rush hour!) I debated about waiting for Ryan to get home and letting him fix the vacuum or whether I should just do it myself. So I put the dinner on, let the dog out, and settled down on the floor with my instruction manual and screw driver to try fixing this thing myself. I managed to not only fix the vacuum but play with the dog at the same time, without loosing any screws and remembering where all the bits went back afterwards, it was a breeze! The moment of truth, I plugged it in and.... it worked! I happily then hoovered the dining room and living room finishing as Ryan got home and feeling so completely accomplished! I felt like Wonder woman!!! It was sooooo satisfying. Revelation number one, I can fix a hoover.

I started to look for other things I could get done. My eyes settled on the laptop we're planning to sell. So I opened the case and started taking pictures to post online and the funniest thing happened. No sooner had I taken the first picture and arranged the laptop for the next Corbit came over, strategically sitting himself down next to the photo's subject waiting for his picture to be taken too! Revelation number two, our dog is a poser.

1 comment:

jenjakob said...

The man at the Vac Shack gave me a free belt as well when our Hoover stopped working. He suggested I keep them in mind when looking for a new vacuum. I have since bought a new vacuum but I did not buy from the Vac Shack. They didn't carry the model of Dyson I wanted.

Nice guys, though.