We have a lot of people asking us if we're taking pre-natal classes and who's going to be there to witness the birth etc. Everyone has an opinion as it would all be boring if we were the same. The funniest though is when someone asks what your plans are and if they're different to what they are doing or have done they get very adamant that you should be doing it their way or their shock means they don't believe you! Ryan and I have had some laughs over this. So to set the record straight this is what Ryan and I are doing and I'm telling you right now, we love hearing others opinions but that doesn't mean we're going to change our own!!!
So concerning pre-natal classes.... we're not taking them. I had no problem with taking them but I left the decision to Ryan as there was no way I would do them on my own and I really didn't care either way if we did them or not. One of the reasons is the cost. Now you can find ones that are not expensive but still when you're on a tight budget you gotta prioritise... this wasn't a priority for us. Also the time commitment and parking costs were taken into consideration. How much of this stuff are you really gonna remember?! We're surrounded by people who have had or are having babies, if we have a question we'll either ask or,people like I've said, are quite willing to freely share information even if you don't ask! The way we see it, women have been giving birth for thousands of years I'm just another number and I'm going to be in a hospital surrounded by nurses who this is all they do day in day out. If I need help I'm pretty sure I'll get it.
Concerning who's going to be witnessing the birth... no-one except the doctors and nurses and Ryan (although he won't technically be witnessing, we have a don't go past the stomach agreement!). This isn't going to really be a very flattering time for me and I don't want people standing around gawping. They won't be able to do anything anyway! Ryan is there by default. As a friend said 'you don't just get to be there for the fun part!'. Ryan and I are very independent people, we can handle this and all our family and friends can just enjoy having the new baby. My mum was very supportive when I told her not to come for the birth, to just come after the baby was born. She said, 'I know what you're like when you're sick or in pain and you couldn't pay me to be in the same room!'
5 comments:
I never took pre natal classes and I figured it out...every baby is different you cant really prephare except know your options for pain
There's no secrets in a delivery room! Ryan will pretty much have to stare at the ceiling! I agree about the pre-natal class. It helped me because i did not like the "un-known" but if you're ok not knowing details on labour, why bother spending the time and money when you can ask people who already went through it?
Well, I guess I'm a bit different (so I'm told). I found prenatal classes to be really helpful. Even after my first, before having my second I went back for a prenatal/labour prep class and it was AWESOME! I liked knowing what questions to ask the dr. (or midwife) and what my options were. Greg really wanted to know what the heck was going on - there was NO WAY he was staring at the ceiling...ARG! If I was counting through a contraction - so was he!! If I was having a shower - so was he...remind Ryan to pack his bathing suit in your labour bag...the nurses said they hate to see naked husbands...ha ha. Either way, it's going to be great. The body knows what it's doing and that's the beauty of it all. Everyone knows what decisions are best for them and classes or no classes, you're still having that baby!! Yahooooooo.
Yah prenatal classes were, good I guess if you didn't know that you had to eat well while pregnant and not smoke. I took them and they were free cause they thought I was a single teenager, lol. It was interesting.
I was the same, no one in the room but Blake and people who had to be there (nurse, doctors). Although not flattering, you really could care less while you're going through it what you look like haha. I'm glad your prengnancy is going so well!!
YOU GO GIRL!!!
You have to do it your way and only your way, its a very personal thing, i know i wouldn't dream of letting anyone other than david in the room... in fact if it was safe to get rid of the midwives i would!!!
your such a strong person you can get through anything, and as for the prenatal classes the only good thing i found from them with my first was the friends i made.
if you have a question there are plenty of books and websites and other mums to answer them for you.
you look great by the way!!
stay strong and have it your way!!!!
Post a Comment