My calling at church is the Activities Committee Chairperson, which basically means I organise activities for our congregation. I have a great committee of three other people to help me too which makes the job a lot easier! This Saturday just gone we held a talent show:
*Riverside's Got Talent!*
The plan was to keep it simple, all we needed was people's participation. We rented a popcorn machine, had licorice and cans of drink for snacks (I'm a firm believer that every activity should not revolve around the food!), put little fairy lights along the bottom of the stage and had a table for those with talents that couldn't be performed (e.g. quilts, pottery, scrap booking). Remarkably I managed to keep stress free the whole time leading up to the night and on the night!! I figured what would happen would happen. My minimum number of acts I wanted to go ahead was 10. I had some cancellations in the days leading up to Saturday and had a momentary panic but my wonderful Kate assured me as long as we had eight it would be fine and between us we knew of eight acts. On the night we ended up with 14! We had a great turnout, probably about 70 people and I had a wonderful time! I was SO happy the whole time and the acts were fabulous, it was so much fun! We've had some great feedback too which makes it all worth it. We started on time at 6.30pm and it was all over by 8pm and after cleanup we were homeward bound at 9pm which was fantastic. It was so wonderful, it couldn't of gone any better. So excited to do next years! Now we just have to start planning for the summer BBQ in July. After the success of Saturday I'm actually pretty excited for this one, we've got some great ideas!
*Riverside's Got Talent!*
The plan was to keep it simple, all we needed was people's participation. We rented a popcorn machine, had licorice and cans of drink for snacks (I'm a firm believer that every activity should not revolve around the food!), put little fairy lights along the bottom of the stage and had a table for those with talents that couldn't be performed (e.g. quilts, pottery, scrap booking). Remarkably I managed to keep stress free the whole time leading up to the night and on the night!! I figured what would happen would happen. My minimum number of acts I wanted to go ahead was 10. I had some cancellations in the days leading up to Saturday and had a momentary panic but my wonderful Kate assured me as long as we had eight it would be fine and between us we knew of eight acts. On the night we ended up with 14! We had a great turnout, probably about 70 people and I had a wonderful time! I was SO happy the whole time and the acts were fabulous, it was so much fun! We've had some great feedback too which makes it all worth it. We started on time at 6.30pm and it was all over by 8pm and after cleanup we were homeward bound at 9pm which was fantastic. It was so wonderful, it couldn't of gone any better. So excited to do next years! Now we just have to start planning for the summer BBQ in July. After the success of Saturday I'm actually pretty excited for this one, we've got some great ideas!
4 comments:
I am curious to find out what the different acts were. Could you list of a quick summary for me? The only one I knew about was the Mud Ducks.
A missionary played the piano
The Desouza girls played piano
Cori & Emily sang from Guys & Dolls
A primary girl did the hula hoop
The Valezcas (?!) danced and sang
We had another band (Patrick/Dave/Greg/Paul)
The Lee-Wen kids played their instruments
Jared Brougton did movie imitations
Sheila Fowler sang
Jen played her flute with Jess on piano
Klaus Visser played guitar and yodelled
ooooooo I'm missing someone, who??? ahhhh!
oh the Mud ducks is who I was missing! haha
You did a wonderful job and I TOTALLY appreciate what you and your committee does. The night was so much fun, I cheered and laughed so much that my voice was starting to go by the end of the night (probably didn't help that I was getting sick).
oh and you forgot one more act...the one practice wonders - a bunch of us sang an old 1930's song "No, No, A Thousand Times No" with Derlin Dillabaugh on the piano.
Props to you and your committee Katie. It was lots of fun. Looking forward to the next activity.
Post a Comment