Wednesday, 14 May 2008

Ready to go!

I really don't have anything to write about, but Ryan cancelled our cable (which I'm all for - I love not having tv but can become a tv addict and I don't want our kids to be couch potatoes) and when trying to decide on what to do tonight he settled down with his real estate book and suggested I write in my blog... so here I am.

I had my doctors appointment this morning... welcome month 9 and weekly appointments from this moment forward. Everything is good though, baby's heartbeat was 152, which is apparently nice and strong and healthy, and if you believe in the myths it would be a predictor that little Kirk is a girl as apparently girls have faster heartbeats, we'll have to wait and see. My doctor then felt to find the head exclaiming "wow it's wedged in there nice and good!" So baby has dropped and has got it's head squished nice and tight next to my bladder and back which explains why I need to pee every 20minutes and why my lower back is really quite uncomfortable! But this is all good as it means technically I'm just waiting for the rest of my body to catch up and realise baby and mum are ready to go... it just needs to start doing it's muscle magic! It is also good as the doctor said there's little chance of baby moving and ending up in a different position that could cause problems (i.e. breached).

Ryan and I were talking about baby last night. He felt better once he knew that I knew how to change a nappy (diaper) at least one of us knows what we're doing! We also realized that neither of us really know how to hold a baby, especially a newborn. It's funny how the moment people find out you're getting married or are pregnant, they automatically start to tell you all the horrible things that can be attached to the event. However Ryan and I can honestly say we're not worried about anything. There's anticipation but it's an excited anticipation to meet this little person and to find out what they're like, not a scary anticipation about whether or not we'll be good parents or how much sleep we'll get. We feel as prepared as we could be. We went to the hospital last week for a presentation where a nurse talked about the maternity ward we'd be part of and hospital procedures and answered questions. We know where we have to go, we know our options and we'll get through it. What an adventure!!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love how you start out saying you have nothing to talk about and then proceed to write a great baby post! hehe So,just because I'm nosey, do you have baby names picked out??

D said...

The nurses at the Civic Hospital taught me how to change nappies and administer baby baths. In fact, they hold a little bath clinic every day or two with all the new parents and show them what to do.

You guys don't have to worry about a thing. The nurses have you covered.