Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Baby, Cover your Ears!

I took the dog out for a walk today, the weather is gorgeous and we have a great little park behind our house. One of the things we love about the area we live in is that it is a family area, there's lots of children around which is great when you think of having a child and them having people to play with.... I think I've changed my mind though. To get to the park you have to go through a style in a fence and I got there at the same time as about twelve kids all with their bikes so I patiently stood to the side while they squeezed their bikes through the small gap. The kids ranged in age from probably about 7-10. The language I heard these kids using made my heart stop! I heard at least three different swear words and they weren't "mild" ones. These kids are in primary (elementary) school! Now I'm not so naive that I don't know that kids are exposed to this kind of thing earlier than I was but actually hearing them use the words so freely completely shocked me. It just brought it closer to home that the values I plan on teaching my children are really not what the majority of other parents are teaching theirs.

1 comment:

SAH in Suburbia said...

Sad isn't it! Sad sad sad. It's the same as what I hear on the playground. I've actually asked some kids if they could be mindful of their language while my children were near. That stuns them and they are quite surprised - it's almost like they didn't think I could hear them!! Many have been quite embarrassed that they were caught!!