Tuesday, 9 September 2008

To wake or not to wake....

It's almost 8pm. My baby is sleeping and has been since 4pm. For about a week now Paige has not been going to bed until between 12-1am which is not very fun when you're tired. She still sleeps all night, doesn't wake up until 9am mostly, she eats and then goes back to sleep! At first we thought she was staying up later because she had napped later so we would wake her by 6pm at the latest, thinking a good few hours of wakefulness and play would suffice but, it didn't make a blind bit of difference. So now I don't wake her. Maybe she's gotten so tired it's finally catching up with her - totally understandable, we had a few hairy days when she was sleeping very little during the day, but it's funny when she gets to sleep at night she sleeps all the way through. One afternoon I decided to do an experiment and tried putting her in her crib to fall asleep and she screamed for an hour (I was going in to see her to try help calm her frequently) and she eventually fell into a fitful 20min nap and I vowed I wouldn't put her through that again. The longer I have Paige the more I don't care what "experts" say. I've tried getting her on a schedule and all that jazz, I think it makes me stressed though rather than helping. I don't want to make family life anymore stressful than it naturally can be! We'll figure this thing out, Paige is a good baby and I don't think I'm failing as a mum. I hope she wakes up soon though, Ryan has gone out and I want someone to hang out with!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh. my. gosh. I think she is getting cuter! Is that even possible? =) As far as the waking her up or not dilemma I say; you are the mom, you do what feels right to you.

SAH in Suburbia said...

Yup, you're the mom! Isn't it great that you get to decide? There's so much 'advice' out there (and I give it frequently..ha ha) but ultimately, it's all up to you and what feels right to you as the parent. I can't count the number of sleep books I read with my middle child.

Schedules will usually come naturally and they'll fit into your family routine just because that's the way you end up doing things....you're doing GREAT!!!!

Such a cute cute baby!! My goodness Katie, she's just ADORABLE!!! My aunt Helen must be charmed.

Anonymous said...

doesn't matter what books say each child will re-write it with their own rules!
don't worry about whether she is text book or not, just enjoy her while she is little.

you a certainly not failing as a mum, she is lovely.

being on number 5 myself i have come to appreciate that each child comes with their very own querks, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

you are doing great!!!

jen and brody said...

You are a fantastic mom! And you guys have such a cute baby. I love reading all your updates. Miss you tons!

Jackie said...

Hey! I think you are doing a great job! And mostly, I didn't agree with the "experts" either!

With Angela, we let her sleep when she wanted and wake up when she wanted. And she has slept through the night since she was born!

She slept in our bed until she was 1, and then I sleep trained her in her crib. 2 nights, 35 minutes of crying, and she's been in her crib every night since! Everyone was telling me that getting her to sleep in her own bed will be a nightmare because we did co-sleeping, but it wasn't!!!

So, you'll know what's best for you guys and don't let anyone else tell you different!!