As a teenager I was extremely lucky to be able to go on two separate history trips, the first one to Belgium where we went through the trenches and tried running through the pot holed fields of the Somme. Some of those craters were crazy and I can remember going through an underground trench, hunched over in the pitch black trusting the hand of the person in front of me. I remember going to the Menin Gate in Ypres and reading thousands of names and being there for the evening ceremony, listening to the Last Post. It was one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had and I treasure the memories and the importance it instilled in me to never forget.
The second trip I went on was to Normandy where we walked through the graveyards reading the names on the headstones, we walked the beaches where so many lost their lives and asked ourselves why this was allowed to happen a second time. Once again I treasure the memories of this trip and it solidified once again the importance to never forget.
My great grandad Percy was in the navy and served through both world wars. He should of died numerous times but each time his boat was torpedoed he was on leave or had just been transferred. We have many of the letters he wrote to my nan and she says he often struggled with the fact that he lived as his friends and comrades died. I don't want to forget what he and millions of others went through for us.Today I started something which I hope will become tradition and help me to teach my daughter the importance of the history that is part of her heritage. We went downtown to the war memorial to pay tribute to those who have given their lives for our freedom. We applauded them and to my pleasure sung the two national anthems that are part of our family. Paige was so good in the cold as the flakes of snow started to fall. She didn't flinch at the 21 gun salute and was smiling at all the people around us and was drawing smiles from them too. It was a wonderful morning, one which I hope to repeat next year.
We will never forget.
2 comments:
What amazing experiences. Some day G and I would like to visit those same places. Wow!!
We, too, take our children to the Remembrance Day ceremony each year. This year it was in the pouring rain and the kids were dreadful...it was a bit discouraging. I hope some day they will appreciate history and understand the significance of sacrifice.
Paige's great-grandad on her father's side also served in the navy in the 2nd world war. He was a ship's engine man on a corvette that patrolled the north Atlantic ocean.
Post a Comment