Saturday, 14 March 2009

Bus ads and Hope

Now I respect the fact that people have different beliefs to me, that's fine and it's interesting, however there is one thing that bothers me a little bit...

In Ottawa the city has just approved some new ads to go on the buses that an atheist group has done. I understand the freedom of speech thing but the part that bothers me is that in some way you're taking away people's hope. If you're someone who is struggling with something and you're clinging on to a belief in God or some kind of higher power and you see something repeatedly telling you that you can't trust anything but yourself wouldn't that destroy your hope moving you into even deeper despair? Now this may seem a little extreme but if you think about the hard times the world is going through right now with job and home losses more and more people are struggling with depression and immense fear for their well being.

The other thing that I don't understand is how can you be part of this world and not believe in a higher power??? Are we really that arrogant that we think we are the genius creators behind some of the miraculous things that happen in this world? Or that things just happen. I don't understand it.

3 comments:

Amelia and Edmund said...

I totally agree. They tried to get them posted here, too...but Vancouver said no. It's sad to hear that Ottawa allowed it to go through.

Megan said...

Calgary has the signs as well. Personally, I think that people view the signs as annoying and stupid. But now there is a Christian organization posting opposing signs. I know they're trying to help, but I think it's creating more contention than good.

ME.Ccrew said...

Another thing that bothers me regarding these ads too are that the organization has organized itself as a non-profit and gets the signs, in part, paid for by US ~ the public at large... that's not right!