Boy: Do you have a baby in your tummy?
Me: Yes I do.
Boy: Why?
Me: (stumped) That's a very good question.
I turn away to get away from the conversation. The boy then joins some girls he was there with and proceeded to start building a tower out of some pillow blocks. Paige went over to look and he pushed her down. I was furious. But the kids parent/caregiver wasn't around and Paige just sat on the floor dazed for a moment and then got up and moved away, but it really made me angry that this kid would just shove a baby out of the way. I didn't know how to respond. I wanted to protect my little girl but the moment was passing quickly and she wasn't crying or upset, more just shocked. Another little girl went over and he pushed her (albeit more gently) and I looked at him and told him he had to be more careful and gentle. He then started to repeat the questioning that he had previously put me through about the baby in my tummy and I know I shouldn't have done this but I just looked at him and walked away, got Paige and we left. I was tired of him. Childish... yes. Satisfying? Definitely.
3 comments:
Poor Paige!
I don't like when that happens because it's a tricky situation! Lots of parents that I have come into contact with don't care because their kid isn't the one being bullied and he's just "learning". Pssh, whatever. The kid gets away with it at home so he can in public too. I do the same thing, tell them to be more gentle and careful and leave. Unfortunately it's worse if the parent is there and isn't stopping them. I don't think my child should be subjected to that abuse when the parent responsible is NOT being responsible and I do not want to fight about respect and parenting.
Tricky, tricky! We've all done it. :P
Ive been there too it is hard but I think when your kids are really little you have to protect them I have diciplined other poeple's kids and I would do it again, there are so many people who don' watch their kids and it makes me mad!!
Just wait until it's Paige doing the shoving... it'll probably happen at some point. Anders was the sweetest but when it comes to the new baby in the house.... well, he's more rough with Ezra than with anyone else. Child psychology is intense!
BUT I have interceded when the parent will not. For example - at Chapters, a little boy was tearing pop-ups out of a new book. Yikes!!! I also told the employees so they would know it wasn't me or my kids.
Post a Comment