Oh my goodness we have a house! I LOVE it! It's the bestest house ever! I walk up to my front door run up my stairs go into my kitchen use my antique (1950s) oven go into my garden use my washer and my dryer..... it just goes on and on! I don't want to go to work I just want to be in my house! (I can feel this elation right now as the bills don't start coming for another week!)
So we'll start from the beginning.... Friday night. So once we picked up our keys we went to Home Depot... our new favourite store, to buy ceiling paint. ALL of our ceilings and walls need to be painted. Then we took straight to the house. We walked into the musty dirty building that was now our home. Now don't mistake my meaning of dirty.... the lady who lived in the house was 86 when she died and it was her son I guess who was selling it so I'm assuming they just wanted it off their hands as soon as possible. They left a lot of junk hanging from the ceilings (she had a thing for hanging birds) and we found a few treasures (some garden chairs, a new snow shovel). We're also assuming she was a smoker as there are black marks all over the wall and you can see where the pictures had been hung. We also think she had cats as the carpets in the bedrooms particularly had that odour.... so Friday night after dropping the paint off we took over a few kitchen items like the slow cooker and George Foreman that we didn't want to pack into boxes and then I cleaned out the fridge and freezer as I was not putting our food in there while it was dirty.... someone very kindly left a Budweiser for us.
So Saturday morning we were up bright and early cleaning and packing and getting things ready. Ryan's parents turned up and I went with Helen to the house while Ryan went with his dad to get the truck. I spent the morning with Helen removing hooks and nails and screws from the ceilings and walls and filling them ready to be painted. It took a good 3hours for us to do the kitchen, living room and dining room, that's how much this lady loved to hang things. I finished my job just as the truck arrived. A big thank you goes out to Dan and Kate and Ben for helping us! So as we started to unload the truck Ryan's mum started to paint the ceiling. It's stucco, never been painted and we didn't have the right rollers... need I say anymore? Well it was horrible. So I ran back to Home Depot to get the right rollers and after we'd had a pizza lunch and everyone had gone home Ryan and I repainted the ceiling.
Sunday morning I woke up so excited that we'd gotten the ceiling done and was so depressed when I went downstairs and saw it! It was patchy and looked awful. Being a Sunday we couldn't do anything about it and faced the prospect of just being able to look at it all day. A big thank you to Lindsey and Otto for having us over for dinner so we could escape our yucky ceiling! That evening we set up the tv in the bedroom and started watching season 3 of 'House'. What a welcome distraction! I also had a message from Ryan's mum saying she could come over Monday morning to help us out with more painting. It was like an angel had come down and made everything ok. (Can you tell I'm an emotional person???)
So Monday morning I woke up and got ready for work while Ryan took the day off and got ready to paint. I came home to a beautiful white, not patchy ceiling and beautiful white walls. Ryan's mum had done the ceiling while Ryan had had to apply two coats of primer. So I got home and we went back to home depot to buy our paint colour. It's called blanket brown from Behr. We applied the first coat on Monday and Tuesday night we did the second coat. I woke up this morning and oh my goodness it looks FANTASTIC. It's like a milk chocolate brown and our living room gets lots of light and it just looks incredible. So tonight we're taking the night off as I have netball and then Thursday we'll paint the trim. We're giving ourselves a week to do each room.
I'm enjoying the renovating process now. Being able to have somewhere where we can see what we can achieve helps a lot. Maybe I'm just learning a little patience??!!
So I can hear you all cry, where are the pictures?! Well, our computer is not set up at home so I can't upload my pictures or get on the internet. Right now I'm at work... it's very slow today and I just realised I can access my blog. However, now I've done it once we'll see how long it takes them to block the site. Oh well, it served my purpose today!
1 comment:
Katie, how exciting for you guys! To paint your OWN WALLS.....You're a grown up now. :-) Helen is fabulous in this department - painting, renovating...you've defininely married into the right family!!
Post a Comment