So today while doing my daily browse of the BBC's News website (so I can keep up with things at home) I found something really interesting. The new Primeminister, Gordon Brown just gave his big Labour party speech and now there is a lot of talk about Britain getting a motto like some other countries i.e. France, America, Switzerland (anyone know what they are please share!). So the BBC decided to ask the British population what they thought would be a good motto. I was reading some of them and I found them hillarious (maybe it's just the British humour), they're not all patriotic but I thought I would share some of my favourites:
"Britain: At least it's not France/Germany/America (delete as appropriate)"
"Britain - all it needs is a coat of paint"
"Smile you're on CCTV"
"It never rains but it pours"
"Lead from the rear" (considering our geographical placement in Europe)
"Semper ubi sub ubi ubique" (Always wear underwear everyone - I just thought the latin was cool!)
"Amamus queribundus , autem haud intus caupona" (We love complaining, but not in restaurants)
"Fluctuat nec mergiter" (It is tossed by the waves but does not sink)
"Pro umquam sicco numerus, nunquam sicco hostilis" (Forever outnumbered, never outarmed)
"Britain, Home of coal, Playground for Wippets"
"Please be patient, we are working on the problem"
"Never look back... unless you're turning right"
"Come and 'ave a go if you think yer 'ard enough!"
So there were 1000 posts and I only made it to 100 and something. I left out all the really patriotic ones as those ones weren't as funny. My favourite one if you're curious is the very first one. You may not find these funny but they are. Trust me, I'm a Brit.
Also if you're curious I don't think we need a motto. We've been great since the beginning and even if our empire is not as large as it once was, for a tiny country we do pretty good.
1 comment:
I'm guessing America's motto is "Land of the free, home of the brave" but that might be wrong. I liked "Don't look back...unless you are turning right." Good one! How about "The second best island in the world (after Hawaii)."?
Post a Comment