So I went from being not very busy at work to being EXTREMELY busy which is why there's been no blog writing..... we still have no computer set up at home. But today something really cool (for me anyway) happened.
So this week a new report has come out here in Canada which shows that less than 50% of Canadians are getting married nowadays. The other alarming statistic is that 44% of people in their twenties still live at home.... but that's a different entry.
So I was at work doing my work and listening to the radio and they radio DJ was asking people why they thought that less than 50% of people were getting married. I was listening to some of the people and the biggest reason seemed to be that because divorce rates are so high it discourages people. I believe that can have an effect (fear) but I also think it's a bit of a cop out. The more I listened to people giving their reasons for why marriage didn't work the more frustrated I became and the more I believed my reason is more accurate than "people don't get married because of the divorce rate". So I called the radio station. I told them that I felt the reason why most people don't get married today is because plain and simple it's easier not to be. People don't want to put the effort into being married and staying married. Everyone has this fairy tale (believe me I had it) of marriage and when that gets shattered they give up and aren't willing to stick it out to get the better part that comes from going through the hard times. It can be applied to so many aspects of peoples lives now, everyone wants to get what they want the easiest way possible, no-one wants to put the hard work into things in life. So after I finished my penny's worth to the DJ he told me he agrees with me. Now I know I wasn't live on the radio, I had the adverts in the background but I felt better for just getting my frustration off my chest. So you can believe my surprise a few minutes later when I heard myself... on the radio!!! It was my 30 seconds of fame! It was great!
I had one of my very bestest friends go through her parents getting divorced and one time we asked her if that put her off the thought of getting married. She told us no, it just gave her the motivation to make sure her marriage would work. That answer to me was so incredible after seeing what she went through. She recently did get married too. So that's why I don't believe divorce is always a legitimate excuse for why people don't get married. You learn from life's lessons and when someone else messes up you get to learn from them which saves you a little pain. You repay the favour some other way I'm sure! It's the circle of life, Hakuna Matata!
1 comment:
Amen sister! I totally agree with you. I also had the fairytale belief that marriage was perfect and just came easy. You really really do have to put effort into it.
Another cop out I don't like for people who live together rather than get married is, "We're trying it out to see if it works." Studies have shown that people who live together before getting married have a higher divorce rate than those who don't.
So good on you for putting in your two cents! Hope everything is well in your end of the world (Canada is SO foreign to me....lol).
Post a Comment