Wednesday, 19 September 2007

Rediscovered

I wanted to write in my blog yesterday but couldn't think of anything. While driving home I was pondering on this and trying to think if anything meaningful has happened recently. Of course the answer was no as I live a pretty uneventful life (I'm happy with that) but then some things did come to mind. Readers may find this boring but this is my blog so that's that!

I love to read and I mean, really love. English was my favourite subject at school (with History and Sociology) and I can remember staying up late to read trying to not let my mum know (I got in trouble quite a few times......). Since we've been married Ryan has also learnt to enjoy reading and we spend a lot of time in Chapters (Our 'Barnes & Noble' for Americans and 'Waterstones' for Brits) looking at books and buying books, which is not cheap. We have two bookshelves full already and a third one filled once we've bought it. We are also our friends library. I say this not to boast, just so people understand, I really love to read. I do have my favourite kind of books, historical fiction, especially anything surrounding the wars or British history. I do spend a lot of time crying with these kind of books but it's important to know our history and to be reminded of the human element of life sometimes even if it is a little far fetched. I also love the classics. The Eyre sisters, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, The Count of Monte Cristo is an incredible book and I really want to read Phantom of the Opera. I love the old British lifestyle, it was so simple - not always fair but people were happy with far less than it takes to make people "happy" these days. So, due to the fact that we're going away to Vegas soon I will be buying a new book for the flight but until then I needed something to read. I haven't borrowed a book from the library in forever but this time I did and I have to say, I love the library. I also got a very good book. It was set in Liverpool in World War 2. I am enjoying it very much. In fact I'm almost done. I think it's time to go back to the library!

3 comments:

jenjakob said...

OK Book Lady - where were you tonight? You ought to come to our book club. We've decided on our next book - The Tiger Claw - it's about a woman who goes undercover as a spy during WWII. Right up your alley? Quickly - go to the library and pick up this book before ... it's too late!

Ryan and Katie said...

ooooo count me in!

Jessica said...

Awww, Jen, you beat me to it!