Friday, 11 January 2008

Blame the hormones.... and the haircut!

I've been trying to fit in an appointment to get my haircut for forever... Ryan and I were both in dire need of a trim. Last week we went and were waiting 45mins after a scheduled appointment, Ryan was not impressed, so we left. Tonight we have Ryan's Christmas party (working at a hotel their busiest time is before Christmas so they have their party in Jan) so I wanted nice hair for then so I booked myself in for 5.30pm straight after work on Thursday. My normal hairdresser wasn't working so it would have to do. After a long and boring day at work (I spend 6hrs of the day with nothing to do) I dashed to the hairdressers with high expectations. Over an hour later I leave looking like a poodle.... and no I made sure there were no photos. I watched her do my hair thinking it couldn't get any worse and watching the impossible happen. I was hungry, uncomfortable and needed to pee and stuck in the chair watching her make me look like.... I don't even know what like!!! When she asked me if I liked it, I clenched my lips together in a tight smile making a noise like "uh huh" and got out of there as quick as possible.

I also had to get dog food and it had to be done then as we're going to be at the hotel all weekend (Ryan's working) and friends are dog-sitting and he had no food and I had to have the car home in half an hour so Ryan could leave for a guitar lesson. So I then had to scramble through Walmart keeping my head down so no-one could put a face to the hair. I got home looked at Ryan and said 'don't say a word.' Of course his reaction is then to bury his head in the pillow stifling laughter. When he looked up at me I burst into tears and ran straight into his arms telling him how awful it all really was. I think that was the best he's ever comforted me, he was an angel, very sympathetic and helping me try to figure out what best to do about it. My tears were almost all gone when he said that he had some bad news. My ultrasound (scheduled for today) had been cancelled. That just started a whole new wave of tears. I'd been waiting a whole month and was so excited and now I was going to have to wait again?!

So this morning I woke up scurrying to get the house ready for the couple who were going to stay for the weekend while we were away, and trying to get ready for work and trying to figure out what to do about my hair (brushing and sleeping on it hadn't done a whole lot). I fell down the stairs (don't worry, baby's fine), one of those slip and bump bump bump kinda falls, hurting my bottom and my pride and decided that I was just going to have to be late for work because I wasn't rushing when there was freezing rain and the roads were going to be slow anyway.

I made it to work no problem and set about calling the ultrasound clinic to find out why my appointment was cancelled and to reschedule. Turns out the technician went on holiday and was meant to be back four days ago but because of bad weather her flight had been cancelled and she was stuck in Nova Scotia. They'd been cancelling appointments for the last four days. Ok so not their fault, I asked when they could reschedule me..... Feb 1st! NO WAY. Sorry but three weeks from now, not acceptable to moi who had already waited a month and was more excited to see her baby than she was for Christmas. So we compromised. I took Feb 1st while trying to get hold of another clinic to fit me in sooner and failing that I call back on Monday and speak to the technician who is the one who can fit me in sooner at the current clinic.

K, so reading back on this and having had about four hours pass, I can see how this is funny and I am now laughing hysterically at the events that have unfolded over the last day and a half. Please, have a laugh at my melodramatics, it really is funny if you think about it.

3 comments:

Lexi said...

I've had one of those kind of haircuts. You don't want to tell them "What were you thinking?!!", so instead you just try and recover from the damage. I am curious though, and really want to see a picture! We could swap horror stories.

Sorry about your ultrasound, I hope you find someone quick. Is it the ultrasound where you find out the gender?

Just think, things can only get better from here. Hats are nice.

Anonymous said...

I've had one of those haircuts too! I want to see pictures!!! I cried when I got home from the hairdresser....she just kept cutting and cutting much to my dismay. Can't wait to hear about your ultrasound...it's always exciting to see the baby 'in real life'!

Jessica said...

That sounds like a really crappy day
Too bad you had to have your ultrasound rescheduled I hate waiting to find out what I am having... Looking on the bright side the farther along you are the easier it is to tell the sex.....