Tuesday, 19 February 2008

Family Day

I loved it! The first ever Family Day in Ontario. Ryan and I are both lucky enough that we were able to get this new holiday off and it started with a power cut! The first one we've experienced in our new home. There's Ryan still sleeping and I'm in the kitchen dancing and singing to some Backstreet Boys, just made my pancake mix, turned the stove on to heat up the pan and everything died. Sad I know but striving to be posititive I started thinking of what I could eat without opening the fridge to let the cool air out.... my choices came to nothing, so plan B, convince Ryan we should go out for breakfast to celebrate family day! I went upstairs and gently woke him up and told him about the power outage. I then worked my biggest smile and told Ryan all the reasons why it would be a great idea to go out for breakfast together. Half an hour later I had him agreeing to the idea if there was hot water, then, he would shower and go. Bingo! I'm telling you, I had the quickest shower of my life to ensure he had enough hot water! We conveened downstairs where once Ryan had sat down and realised that we really couldn't do much at home with no power we set off! We had a lovely breakfast at Denny's. We got home just as the power came back on and were able to spend some time having a little clear out and then a break where we could both respectfully spend time doing things we each wanted. I napped. It was wonderful. We then had dinner and watched 'Ratitouille', if you haven't seen that movie you should, it was funny!!! It was a lovely day off together, I can't wait for next years Family Day.


I've gotta say as well, I love that they called the day Family Day. You don't really hear a lot of positive things about families now days and all week preceeding this day there was encouragement on the radio and tv and in the papers that you do spend this day with your family and different ideas of things to do. I really thought it was lovely that people were being encouraged to make memories and traditions with their families. It's all good.

No comments: