Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Whats in a name

Ryan and I have been asked numerous times how we came up with Paige's name and I decided that before I forget I should write about it!
We browsed various baby name sites to try and get ideas. We would generally look under English names so that she would have a name connected to her family history. Paige is an English name, but we found it on the top 100 names list for girls. It was far away from the top ten that we knew it wouldn't be a name that was used overly a lot (for example there shouldn't be five Paige's in her class when she starts school) and it was a slightly different name. Not too traditional but not too wacky.

The middle name proved to be rather more difficult. I wanted the middle name to have some meaning. For example a name used in our family or a name of someone we knew. The middle name changed various times. We would pick a name and then a few weeks later just feel like it didn't fit. We tried Leoma and Laura but Elizabeth was the name that I really wanted (there are many great Elizabeth's... Queen Elizabeth, Elizabeth Bennett and Elizabeth is a very English name) and Ryan said he liked the name Autumn as that was his favourite season. When he pronounced Autumn it fit well enough but when I pronounced it, it didn't quite fit. However a compromise was reached and it was to be Paige Autumn Kirk.
One day Ryan came home from work and told me he'd thought about it and Paige Elizabeth did sound better. I was so excited but curious as to what changed his mind. The head chef at work (who is a great lady) had asked what we planned on naming the baby. Even though we were keeping the name hush hush telling someone at work wasn't a big deal as the main surprise was to be for our families anyway. When he told her Paige Autumn she thought about it for a moment and said that was a nice name but Paige Elizabeth fitted even better. He took that as a sign, so this post is dedicated to Margaret for helping us name Paige. Her name fits her perfectly!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh I love Elizabeth Bennett! Oh, Mr. Darcy, how you make me swoon.

Amy said...

I agree...her name is perfect. And she's perfectly beautiful Katie! I'm glad you took careful thought in naming her. So many people seem to rush into naming these days...pity...

Jessica said...

I love her name too I am with you Elizabeth sounds better, although the are both great names. She really is so cute. I love seeing her pictures it is amazing how fast the grow and change

4urlynnformation said...

She is soooooo delicious.Everything about her is perfect. Love Nanny LynnXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX