Thursday, 7 August 2008

Paige's Blessing

Sunday was a big day for Paige, she was given her name and a blessing at church. This is when a baby's name is first recorded on the church membership records and she is given a special blessing through direct inspiration from God. It was so cool, she had a beautiful blessing and the men in the circle were: Ryan Kirk (dad), Robert Kirk (Grandpa - Ryan's dad), Adrian Foster (Grandad - my dad), Ben Chung (Paige's uncle), Jacob Haarsma (Opa - Ryan's grandad) and David Brown (Bishop). Including Paige that was four generations in the circle, it was a very special moment. My friend Lindsey was writing down the blessing too so that I would have a copy to help me remember and for Paige when she gets older. It was so lovely, she was blessed with the knowledge that she is a daughter of God and the hope that she would realise her potential in life with marriage, education and family. She was also blessed with the personality to be a influence on her friends, family and those around her. This is just a snippet of the blessing and it was a wonderful thing as a mother to hear because I have all these hopes and dreams for her and for the person I know she can become, which is possible, even as the standards of the world decrease.
The blessing dress she wore has a lot of meaning for Ryan's family and we felt really privileged that Paige could wear it. Ryan's Opoe (Paige's great-grandmother) made the dress. Ryan wore it when he was blessed as were his sisters and brothers. Paige's cousin Jaime wore it for her blessing last year and then it was Paige's turn! It's a gorgeous dress and a wonderful heirloom as Ryan's Opoe died a few years ago.
The pink dress was her post-blessing outfit, I was so worried something might happen to the white dress! Paige's auntie Hayley (my sister) bought it for her and she continued to look gorgeous the rest of the day and was greatly admired at her little luncheon!
(This was a family picture which of course Ryan and Paige look stunning in but with the black circles under my eyes and myself being in the process of blinking I look like an old hag, so I've cut myself out so everyone can see my gorgeous family, but I will keep the original picture as a memory and it will be hidden forever! hehe)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cutie, i love the dress!

SAH in Suburbia said...

I wish we could have been there. So nice that Paige wore a dress that Opoe made!! I have a number of little outfits that she made for my babies. I miss her!!